Dry Brushing for Whole Body Health
Dry brushing is easily done and can add tremendously to any detox program. Your skin is your largest organ and can releases up to a pound of waste each day. Often times your skin can show the first signs of internal imbalances.
If your skin cannot efficiently release toxins, you may experience rashes, acne, hives, itchiness, cellulite, body odor, or even eczema and psoriasis. Dirt, oil and sometimes the cosmetics we use can build up and clog pores. Clogged pores inhibit your skin from effectively releasing toxins. Simple and easy therapy like dry skin brushing can have a huge impact on your whole body health.
Choosing a Dry Brush
Choose a dry skin brush that has natural fiber bristles. Some have a removable handle and strap for using the brush without the handle. The bristles may feel too firm at first, but your skin will acclimate to this over time. If you have very sensitive skin, you may want to start with a softer brush or use a dry towel in the beginning.
Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing – More than a Beauty Treatment!
Exfoliating the skin is great for creating radiant and vibrant looking skin. Did you know it’s also an essential tool for good circulation, toning the muscles and improving digestion? Here is a list of the many benefits of dry skin brushing:
▪ Stimulates blood and lymph flow. The lymphatic system is important for cleansing your body. If we don’t move the lymph quickly enough we end up with swollen or puffy tissues. Exercise, massage and skin brushing help to speed the process and clear the lymphatic system.
▪ Removes dead skin cells important to remove the dead dry cells to keep from clogging the system. This will also improve skin texture and renew the skin cells.
▪ Stimulates the hormone and oil glands. With daily brushing and bathing, the skin can produce the oil needed to stay healthy. This oil helps keep, the skin soft and supple.
▪ Reduces cellulite. When you massage and stimulate the skin it begins to break up the toxic deposits of stored fatty tissues that pucker the overlying skin into cellulite. Connective tissue massage and releasing stored emotions are also good treatments for cellulite.
▪ Strengthens the immune system. Dry skin brushing can reduce the length of infections and illness by moving the toxins more quickly through the system and stimulating the lymph to move waste matter out.
▪ Stimulates the nervous system, tones the muscles, tightens the skin. By stimulating nerve endings in the skin, this technique will rejuvenate your nerves and activate individual muscle fibers, resulting in toner muscles. The increased blood flow to skin, and removing of dead cells, stimulates the creation of new skin cells which tightens and regenerates overall skin health.
▪ Nurtures your body. Maybe one of the most important benefits of this practice is purely the pleasure of nurturing your body. Learning to love your body is essential for weight loss and the healing of any bodily “disease.” Spend this time, 5-15 minutes per day, giving your body the attention it craves and deserves. It works hard to support you. Giving it superior support will reward you many times over.
How to Use Your Dry Brush
1. Brush your dry body before you shower or bathe, preferably in the morning.
2. Start at your feet and always brush toward your heart. Use brisk circular motions or long, even strokes.
3. Brush all the way up your legs, then over your abdomen, buttocks, and back. If you have cellulite on your hips and thighs, concentrate their a little longer. For complete dissolving of cellulite, brush for 10 minutes daily for several months.
4. Brush lightly on sensitive areas like breasts and more firmly on areas like soles of the feet.
5. When you reach your arms, begin at your fingers and brush up your arms, toward your heart. Brush your shoulders and chest down, always toward your heart.
6. Avoid brushing anywhere the skin is broken or where you have a rash, infection, cut or wound.
7. While brushing imagine you are sculpting the body of your dreams. Confidently molding your body to the shapes you want. Give you body positive affirmations.
8. Finish by taking a shower and if you choose, use cold/hot therapy to further stimulate the lymphatic system and improve circulation.
Dry off and massage pure plant oils into your skin such as almond, sesame, avocado, coconut or olive. Again imagine yourself as the sculptor massaging away imperfections. You can also try Young Livings Cel-lite magic formula with specialty essential oils used to increase circulation and get rid of cellulite.