Everyone should have at home a few essential oils on hand. Here is a small selection of oils to put in your first aid kit. All oils are wonderful, unique and special in their own way but these oils are very safe and very effective for everyday ailments perfect for your first aid kit. I have used all of these oils many times on myself, my clients, friends and family members and have been very impressed by the results. I have even been able to prevent going to the doctors with the use of just a few drops of oil. There are many amazing natural remedies but aromatherapy and essential oils appeals to many people with their amazing smells. Kids love essential oils and essential oils can even be used in certain cases for animals.
How to use essential oils
There are multiple ways of using essential oils; each way offers different benefits.
Inhale: Inhale directly from the bottle, diffuse with a diffuser or drop into your hands and take a breath.
Ingesting: One drop directly on tongue or place essential oils into a clear vegetable capsule and swallow, or add a drop to liquids and drink.
Skin: Drop the oil directly from the bottle onto skin or into hands and rub in.
Must Have Essential Oils for your first aid kit
1. Lavender: This fragrance brings about relaxation and a sense of calming to the physical and emotions. Pure lavender is generally regarded as safe for consumption by the food and drug administration. Often times lavender purchased from the store is not true lavender but a blended hybrid of genetically altered plants or synthetically created chemicals. It’s important to be sure you have a good source to get your lavender from. I use and recommend Young Living.
Bee Sting/Insect Bite: 1 drop on the bee sting or insect bite to stop itching and reduce swelling
Cold Sores: 1 drop on cold sore
Cuts: 2-3 drops to stop bleeding, clean wound, and kill bacteria
Hay Fever/Allergies: rub 1 drop between palms and inhale deeply to help alleviate symptoms
Minor burns: 2-3 drops to decrease pain and inflammation
Motion Sickness: place 2 drops behind ears and on stomach
Nosebleed: rub a drop of lavender around sinuses while lying down, wait until nosebleed stops
*Lavender is a universal oil.
Whenever in doubt, use lavender*
2. Lemon: Lemon oil fragrance influences freshness, feelings of health, vitality and warmth. This oil has powerful anti-infections, antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral and overall disinfecting properties. Lemon oil promotes healthy white blood cell formation and improves the immune systems functions. Research shows that when vaporized into the air within 3 hours lemon oil can kill bacteria from the common cold, pneumonia, strep throat, diphtheria, typhoid fever and tuberculosis. Additionally lemon oil can improve memory and mental focus.
Food poisoning: 3 drops in a vegetable capsule
Prevent colds and flues: vaporize throughout home for 3 hours
3. Peppermint: Powerful mental energizer. Excellent to help relieve tension headaches and is extremely beneficial for digestion, weight loss, sinus, gallbladder and liver disorders. Helps regulate body temperature and reduce fever. Additionally very helpful in relieving nausea and improves mental accuracy and focus.
Congestion: rub 2 drops in palm and place over nose and sinuses. Breathe deeply. Can also be rubbed on back for deeper congestion of the lungs.
Diarrhea/upset stomach: rub 5-9 drops over stomach. Can also take 2 drops in a vegetable capsule with water.
Fever: 2-3 drops on the bottom of the feet to reduce fever. Dilute 50/50 and apply to forehead, temples and back of the neck
Gas: apply 2-3 drops over the stomach
Headache: rub 1 drop on the temples, forehead, back of neck, and inhale deeply (avoid eyes)
Nausea: 2-3 drops rubbed over abdomen
Tiredness: Place 2 drops in hands rub together and take a deep breath
4. Purification: This oil is a great disinfectant and sanitizing blend. Made of oils of citronella, lemongrass, lavadin, rosemary, melaleuca alternafolia and myrtle. Purification completely neutralizes mold, mildew, cigarette smoke and unpleasant odors. Spray while traveling to neutralize unhealthy microbes that may be lingering in the air.
Air purifier: diffuse in area that needs freshening
Insect bite: 1-2 drops directly on bite/sting
Insect repellant: 6-8 drops rubbed over exposed skin
5. Thieves: This oil has been formulated based on research done during the “Black Plague” and has proven to have a 99.6% kill rate again almost every unhealthy microbe presented to it. Including airborne bacteria, virus, staph, strep and pneumonia. Comprised of clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus radiata and rosemary.
Bronchitis: 2-6 drops dilute with carrier oil and rub on chest, upper back and tops of feet
Cold/flu: diffuse, apply 1 drop to the bottom of each foot, consume one drop in glass of water or capsule
Cold sores: 1 drop three times a day until gone
Fungal infection: 1-2 drops on affected area 2-3 times per day until infection is gone
Strep throat: 2-4 drops in water and gargle as neck. 2-4 drops diluted with carrier oil, rub on the back of the neck and apply a warm compress
Toothache: 1-2 drops rubbed on affected gums
There are many more amazing oils outside of these 5 that would add more tools to your all natural first aid kit. These 5 are a great start that will have you covered for many common ailments. Stay tuned for more tips on putting together your all natural first aid kit.
Disclosure:I get a small commissions for purchases made through links in this post.